Respecting people is very important.
Nobody likes a rude or inconsiderate person, so why would you want to be that kind of person? As we’re taught when we’re young, we should always treat other people the way in which we would want to be treated. We should always respect others, and we should always respect ourselves. We have created a list of fourteen of the best respect quotes to help you feel inspired and motivated to practice respecting others as well as yourself.
A Bit About Respect Quotes
These respect quotes should act as motivation to make you want to show more respect to others and yourself in every day life. Respect is an important personality trait that we should all try to develop to build our relationship bonds with others.
What is respect?
According to vocabulary.com, respect is a way of treating or thinking about something or someone. If you respect your teacher, you admire her and treat her well. People respect others who are impressive for any reason, such as being in authority — like a teacher or cop — or being older — like a grandparent. You show respect by being polite and kind. For a lot of people, taking your hat off is a show of respect. When people are insulted or treated badly, they feel they haven’t been treated with respect. You can respect things as well as people. Saying the Pledge of Allegiance shows respect to your country.
Why is respect important?
Respect is important because it strengthens relationships and makes people think of you in a positive way. Imagine being treated disrespectfully by someone else – you wouldn’t like it, would you? So why would you treat other people that way? Always treat others the way you wish to be treated.
Our List of Fourteen Respect Quotes
These quotes will inspire you to want to show respect to others and yourself more often. Respect is a wonderfully positive trait and it’s something that will improve your social skills and your relationships with others – whether that’s people close to you, or strangers. Everybody likes to feel respected.
1. Respect begins with this attitude: I acknowledge that you are a creature of extreme worth. -Gary Chapman
Everybody is worthy of respect, and when you learn this fact, you will begin to appreciate everything. If you feel like you deserve respect, you should treat others with respect also.
2. Every human being, of whatever origin, of whatever station, deserves respect. We must each respect others even as we respect ourselves. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
It doesn’t matter where people come from or who they are, every single person, no matter who they are, deserves respect. It can be easy to forget that we’re all the same. Treat people in the same way you would want to be treated.
3. Have a big enough heart to love unconditionally, and a broad enough mind to embrace the differences that make each of us unique. – D.B. Harrop
There are over seven billion people on this planet and not one of them is the same. A huge key to succeeding in life is appreciating the things that make us different and respecting people who’s views and likes differ to yours.
4. I have no right, by anything I do or say, to demean a human being in his own eyes. What matters is not what I think of him; it is what he thinks of himself. To undermine a man’s self-respect is a sin. – Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Putting people down or knocking other people’s confidence is a terrible thing for a person to do. If someone is self confident and respects themselves then you should also respect them.
5. It may be important to great thinkers to examine the world, to explain and despise it. But I think it is only important to love the world, not to despise it, not for us to hate each other, but to be able to regard the world and ourselves and all beings with love, admiration and respect. – Hermann Hesse
We should always approach everything we do with a positive attitude. Everything we do should be done with love and we should always treat always with the love and respect that we ourselves would expect from other people.
6. One of the sincerest forms of respect is actually listening to what another has to say. – Bryant H. McGill
Everybody likes to feel like when they’re talking, people are listening. So listen intently to what people have to say. Whether you know them well or not, people choose who they want to talk to and so it’s a gift when people choose to talk to you. Show you appreciate and respect their choice to talk to you by really listening to what they have to say.
7. I speak to everyone in the same way, whether he is the garbage man or the president of the university. – Albert Einstein
We are all born equal, so we should always treat every single person in the same way. It doesn’t matter who it is, everyone on this earth deserves to be treated with respect. Never treat anyone any lesser than anyone else.
8. Respect is how to treat everyone, not just those you want to impress. – Richard Branson
Every single person should be respected, not just the people you want to impress. This includes people you know as well as strangers. All people should be treated with love and respect.
9. Respect is thinking and acting in a way that shows others you care about their feelings and their well-being. – Unknown
It is always nice to feel like people care about your feelings and well-being. That is why we should always show other people that we care about them, because it will make them feel great and you will also feel happier with having made someone else feel great.
10. Respect is something you choose to give. Respect is given because you value people. – Unknown
It’s not essential for us to respect people. Respect is a trait that is learned from when we are young and you can choose to respect people or not. If you truly value the people in your life, you will always treat them with respect.
11. Respect yourself and others will respect you. – Confucius
It is important to take care of yourself and always respect yourself. If you don’t even respect yourself, how can you expect others to respect you? Self-love and knowing your self-worth is important for building your own self confidence.
12. To laugh often and love much; to win the respect of intelligent persons and the affection of children, to earn the approbation of honest critics; to appreciate beauty; to give of one’s self, to leave the world a bit better, whether by a healthy child, a garden patch or a redeemed social condition; to have played and laughed with enthusiasm and sung with exultation; to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived–that is to have succeeded. – Ralph Waldo Emerson
This is one of the best respect quotes. Success is determined by all of the things mentioned in this quote. To have achieved all of these things is to really have achieved and succeeded in life.
13. The greatest wisdom is in simplicity. Love, respect, tolerance, sharing, gratitude, forgiveness. It’s not complex or elaborate. The real knowledge is free. It’s encoded in your DNA. All you need is within you. Great teachers have said that from the beginning. Find your heart, and you will find your way. – Carlos Barrios
We are all born with feelings and the ability to develop a respectful personality. Every single one of us is born the same. It’s what you choose to do that makes you different to everyone else. Be a good person and always treat others and yourself with respect.
14. Respect your fellow human being, treat them fairly, disagree with them honestly, enjoy their friendship, explore your thoughts about one another candidly, work together for a common goal and help one another achieve it. – Bill Bradley
All of the things listed in this quote describe respect. By doing all of those things, you are showing someone that you respect them. It doesn’t matter how well you know someone; everyone should be treated with respect. Furthermore, it’s important to realise that not everyone is going to have the same opinion as you. We all have different interests and different thoughts. The key is remembering that, just because someone’s opinion differs to yours, it doesn’t make them any less worthy of your respect.
Did you enjoy this list of respect quotes?
We hope you enjoyed our list of respect quotes and you now feel more inspired to show people you respect them in every day life. Do you know any other respect quotes that you think should be on this list? We would love to hear them! Please leave us a comment in the comment section below.
If you enjoyed this article or if you know someone who may enjoy reading it then please do be sure to give it a share!
Related Article: Quotes About Smiling That Will Brighten Your Day
Anna works as a full-time writer and editor and has devoted the last ten years of her career to assisting readers in improving their perspective on life. She is a Cultural Studies graduate and now contributes to Good Morning Quotes by sharing her traveling experiences and social knowledge with our readers. When she is not typing up her next article, Anna enjoys spending time with friends, visiting new places, and supporting a healthy lifestyle.