Everyone deserves some compassion every now and then.
We all go through bad times and everyone you meet is fighting a battle you know nothing about. When you love someone unconditionally, it’s till a nice thing to show them you care when they’re going through something. We have curated a list of fifteen timeless compassion quotes which will make you feel inspired. If we were all to show a little more compassion for others, the world would be a much more loving and beautiful place.
A Bit About Compassion Quotes
Compassion quotes exist to inspire you to be a better and more compassionate person. If we were all a little bit more compassionate, the world would be a much brighter and more loving place overall.
What is compassion?
According to oxforddictionaries.com, compassion is defined as sympathetic pity for the sufferings or misfortune of others. Other similar qualities are: empathy, fellow feeling, mercy, leniency, tolerance, kindness, humanity, sensitivity, charity, care, concern, and solicitude.
Why is compassion important?
Compassion is one of the most important qualities a person can have. People who hold the most compassion have the ability to imagine themselves in another person’s shoes and can fully imagine the pain and suffering that they are experiencing. This does not necessarily mean that they have been through the same thing themselves, but instead that they can fully put themselves in another’s shoes and imagine what it must be like. By showing this compassion, you can make the person suffering feel much better about their own situation.
What can we glean from compassion quotes?
Our list of ten compassion quotes should inspire you to want to be more compassionate and caring towards others. It would be an absolutely wonderful thing if all of mankind made an effort to be more compassionate towards others, whether that be towards people you know dearly, or to strangers.
Our List of Fifteen Compassion Quotes
The following is our list of fifteen compassion quotes which we have carefully curated to inspire you. Please enjoy!
1. “A human being is a part of the whole called by us universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feeling as something separated from the rest, a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest to us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.” ― Albert Einstein
We should all make an effort to be more compassionate in our lives. If everyone was a little more compassionate, the world would be a much more wonderful place.
2. “All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.” ― Tahereh Mafi
By making an effort to listen and care for others, we can touch another person with our heart. Just by showing a little bit of compassion and care, we can touch someone life more than we know.
3. “No one has ever become poor by giving.” ― Anne Frank
Giving is one of the most rewarding things a person can do. Even something just as simple as giving a donation to charity can make you feel great.
4. “How would your life be different if…You stopped making negative judgmental assumptions about people you encounter? Let today be the day…You look for the good in everyone you meet and respect their journey.” ― Steve Maraboli
We should all try to be a little kinder to one another and seek out the good in people instead of their flaws. Try making that step today towards looking to the good in every person you meet.
5. “Courage. Kindness. Friendship. Character. These are the qualities that define us as human beings, and propel us, on occasion, to greatness.” ― R.J. Palacio
Everyone should use all of these qualities to make themselves a better person overall.
6. “Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.” ―Leo Buscaglia
- Everyone we meet is fighting some kind of battle. By being kind, caring and compassionate to everyone you meet, you never know how you might be changing someone’s life.
7. “We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, and more in the light of what they suffer.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer
We should all try to remember that everyone we meet is fighting a personal battle. They may not be showing it on the outside, which is why we should all show compassion towards everyone we meet.
8. “The lotus is the most beautiful flower, whose petals open one by one. But it will only grow in the mud. In order to grow and gain wisdom, first you must have the mud — the obstacles of life and its suffering. … The mud speaks of the common ground that humans share, no matter what our stations in life. … Whether we have it all or we have nothing, we are all faced with the same obstacles: sadness, loss, illness, dying and death. If we are to strive as human beings to gain more wisdom, more kindness and more compassion, we must have the intention to grow as a lotus and open each petal one by one. ” ― Goldie Hawn
Every person goes through something. If we were all a little kinder and compassionate towards others, then all of life’s mishaps would seem a little easier.
9. “Remember, if you ever need a helping hand, it’s at the end of your arm, as you get older, remember you have another hand: The first is to help yourself, the second is to help others.” ― Sam Levenson
We all have the ability to help others but we must also always remember to help ourselves.
10. “Highly sensitive people are too often perceived as weaklings or damaged goods. To feel intensely is not a symptom of weakness, it is the trademark of the truly alive and compassionate. It is not the empath who is broken, it is society that has become dysfunctional and emotionally disabled. There is no shame in expressing your authentic feelings. Those who are at times described as being a ‘hot mess’ or having ‘too many issues’ are the very fabric of what keeps the dream alive for a more caring, humane world. Never be ashamed to let your tears shine a light in this world.” ― Anthon St. Maarten
By hiding our weaknesses and sadness, we’re allowing the world to perceive us in a way that is false. If we all showed our tears and sadness more often, then we would allow room for others to be compassionate and help us through our problems.
11. “It does not matter how long you are spending on the earth, how much money you have gathered or how much attention you have received. It is the amount of positive vibration you have radiated in life that matters,” ― Amit Ray
As humans, we tend to focus on negatives. If we all tried to focus more on the positives in life, imagine how much better the world would be.
12. “One of the most spiritual things you can do is embrace your humanity. Connect with those around you today. Say, “I love you”, “I’m sorry”, “I appreciate you”, “I’m proud of you”…whatever you’re feeling. Send random texts, write a cute note, embrace your truth and share it…cause a smile today for someone else…and give plenty of hugs.” ― Steve Maraboli
We all need to be a bit kinder to each. Do something today that will brighten someone’s day. Not only will you brighten someone else’s day, you will also brighten your own day because doing things for others can be extremely rewarding.
13. “Compassion is not a relationship between the healer and the wounded. It’s a relationship between equals. Only when we know our own darkness well can we be present with the darkness of others. Compassion becomes real when we recognize our shared humanity.” ―Pema Chödrön
It’s important to remember that every single person goes through problems and the majority of us will all go through similar problems. By remembering that, it makes it easier for us to feel compassion and to help others.
14. “The only time you look in your neighbor’s bowl is to make sure that they have enough. You don’t look in your neighbor’s bowl to see if you have as much as them.” ― Louis C.K.
This is a wonderful quote. We should all take a bit of time to make sure the people around us are okay. Everyone goes through things. Ask someone how their day has been, offer someone a helping hand. The simplest act could completely change someone’s day.
15. “If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion.” – Dalai Lama
Compassion is excellent for your happiness and the happiness of others. By practicing compassion, you can improve everyones mood including your own.
What Are Your Favorite Compassion Quotes?
- We hope you enjoyed this list of compassion quotes. Do you have a favorite compassion quote that you’d like to share with us? Please leave us a comment in the section below.
- If you enjoyed this article or know someone who may enjoy reading it then please do give it a share!
Related Article: How to Live Without Regret and Enjoy Life
Tina Gray is a freelance journalist, theatre enthusiast and aspiring author. She has a passion for telling stories through various mediums and regularly writes for various online publications. Her short stories will soon be published in her first volume. Currently, she resides in the San Fernando Valley and is studying screenwriting.