Are you looking for an amazing list of freedom of speech quotes?
Well, you’ve certainly come to the right place. We have collected some of the best ever freedom of speech quotes from a number of trusted sources and we have curated them into a fabulous list for you to enjoy. We hope that you enjoy these freedom of speech quotes and we would love to hear your thoughts on them in the comments section below this article. If you know someone who may enjoy reading our list of amazing freedom of speech quotes, then please do be sure to give the article a share with them!
A Bit About Freedom of Speech Quotes
So what exactly does freedom of speech mean and why is it so important? Here we will discover just that.
What does freedom of speech mean?
Freedom of speech means that you have the right to express your thoughts and opinions without being censored, punished or arrested. It is when everyone can say the things that they want to say, without limits on how much they can say or the things that they say.
Why is freedom of speech important?
Freedom of speech is important because we should all feel like we have the right to express our own opinions. We are all individual and we are all unique and each person on earth has their own opinions and views on things. It is important that we allow ourselves to express our own opinions and thoughts, and that we listen to the thoughts and opinions of others as well.
Our List of Freedom of Speech Quotes
Following is our list of freedom of speech quotes with stunning images. We hope that you enjoy these quotes and we would love to hear your thoughts on them in the comments section below this article.
1. “I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an ass of yourself.” ― Oscar Wilde
This is a funny quote about freedom of speech because, if people have freedom of speech, they are free to say things as ridiculous as they want. Many people will have different opinions to one another. However, freedom of speech allows for each person’s opinion to be heard. This applies whether you think their opinion is ridiculous or not.
2. “If freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter.” ― George Washington
We all must have the right to stand up for what we think is right without being criticised or punished. Without freedom of speech, we would never be able to make any changes in the world to things such as law and politics. It is incredibly important that we allow for everyone’s voices to be heard.
3. “My own opinion is enough for me, and I claim the right to have it defended against any consensus, any majority, anywhere, any place, any time. And anyone who disagrees with this can pick a number, get in line, and kiss my ass.” ― Christopher Hitchens
This is a great way of looking at freedom of speech. We all have the right to think and defend whatever we want. It’s true that sometimes people will have opposing opinions to you. However, there is nothing people can do to change your own opinions, as that is yours.
4. “Because if you don’t stand up for the stuff you don’t like, when they come for the stuff you do like, you’ve already lost.” ― Neil Gaiman
We all must have the right to stand up for the things that we do and don’t like. There will always be people that disagree with us, however we must never give in and change our views. Our views are what make us unique and get, and so we must stick to them and we must defend them.
5. “Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers.” ― United Nations, Universal Declaration of Human Rights
This is the official quote from the United Nations about freedom of speech and how people have the right to freedom of speech. This is a very important quote and declaration that officially give people the right to freedom of speech. So if you ever find that someone is going against your freedom of speech, bring this quote up and prove to them that you have the right to say what you please.
6. “Confidence is knowing who you are and not changing it a bit because of someone’s version of reality is not your reality.” ― Shannon L. Alder
Your thoughts and opinions are never going to be exactly the same as someone else’s thoughts and opinions. With that in mind, it’s important to remember that you should never change your opinions and beliefs based on someone else’s. You have the right to defend your own beliefs.
7. “If you’re not going to use your free speech to criticize your own government, then what the hell is the point of having it?” ― Michel Templet
This is one that is often used, as many people will agree with the views and beliefs of their own government. This is a where freedom of speech comes in great, because a nation can stand up for what they believe in and fight against their own government for what they think is right.
8. “This is slavery, not to speak one’s thought.” ― Euripides, The Phoenician Women
Not having freedom of speech can be seen as a form of slavery, as we are slaves to the views and opinions of others. We must have freedom of speech in order to feel truly free and at peace. Without freedom of speech, it can be easy to feel trapped and unimportant in the world.
9. “It is the rare fortune of these days that one may think what one likes and say what one thinks.” ― Tacitus, Histories of Tacitus
People need to stand up for what they believe in more often. Many people will not take advantage of their own freedom of speech and will sit back and watch as things happen that they don’t believe in. However, everyone has a voice, and everyone has the ability to stand up for the things they believe in.
10. “Freedom of speech is unnecessary if the people to whom it is granted do not think for themselves.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
To take advantage of our own freedom of speech, then we must allow ourselves to think differently and think beyond the views of others. Too often, people will sit back and allow others to take the lead. However, we must take advantage of our own voices and use them to express the things that we truly believe in.
11. “Most people do not really want others to have freedom of speech, they just want others to be given the freedom to say want they want to hear.” ― Mokokoma Mokhonoana
People can more often than not be very closed minded about the views and opinions of others. However, it is important to remember that someone else’s opinion is just as valuable as your own. This applies whether you agree with their individual views and beliefs or not.
12. “In many respects, the United States is a great country. Freedom of speech is protected more than in any other country. It is also a very free society. In America, the professor talks to the mechanic. They are in the same category.” ― Noam Chomsky
Freedom of speech is one of the greatest aspects of America. All American’s have the right to their own freedom of speech and each person can freely express their thoughts, views, opinions and beliefs. That is part of what makes America one of the most successful and admired countries in the entire world.
We hope that you enjoyed this list of freedom of speech quotes and that they inspired you in some way today.
Did you enjoy this list of freedom of speech quotes? Perhaps you have some freedom of speech quotes of your own that you think should be on this list? Or maybe you have some stories about freedom of speech that you would like to share with us? We would love to hear them! Please leave a comment in the comment section below this article.
If you enjoyed this article or know someone who may benefit from reading it then please be sure to give it a share! You never know who you might inspire today just with a simple share to your favourite social media sites.
Related Article: Character Quotes To Help Us All Be Better People
Tina Gray is a freelance journalist, theatre enthusiast and aspiring author. She has a passion for telling stories through various mediums and regularly writes for various online publications. Her short stories will soon be published in her first volume. Currently, she resides in the San Fernando Valley and is studying screenwriting.