Be happy quotes or sayings are all over the web. You can literally search for thousands of happy quotes and sayings from different kinds of websites. When we hear the word “Happiness”, each of us has our own understanding of what it means. Each of us has our own way of making ourselves and others happy.
Happiness is a universal human desire, yet it can be elusive at times. Whether you’re feeling down or simply looking for a dose of inspiration, reading quotes about being happy can be a powerful way to lift your spirits and shift your mindset.
To help you find joy and contentment, we’ve compiled a list Be Happy Quotes, from well-known philosophers to modern-day thinkers, and we completed them with images to make them easier to read and to share with friends.
Each of us needs to be reminded that we don’t need to find happiness, it’s already within us, we just have to change how we see things to find joy and contentment in even the simplest moments of life.
Be Happy Quotes and Sayings
1. “Learn to let go. That is the key to happiness.” —Buddha
2. “One joy scatters a hundred griefs.” —Chinese Proverb
3. “The best way to cheer yourself up is to try to cheer somebody else up.” —Mark Twain, American writer
4. “Real happiness is cheap enough, yet how dearly we pay for its counterfeit.” —Hosea Ballou, American minister
5. “If you want to be happy, do not dwell in the past, do not worry about the future, focus on living fully in the present.” —Roy T. Bennett, writer.
6. “Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination.” —Mark Twain, American writer.
7. “Learn to value yourself, which means: fight for your happiness.” —Ayn Rand, Russian-born American writer and philosopher
8. “Happiness is a conscious choice, not an automatic response.” —Mildred Barthel
9. “Don’t waste your time in anger, regrets, worries, and grudges. Life is too short to be unhappy.” —Roy T. Bennett, writer.
10. “There is no cosmetic for beauty like happiness.” —Lady Blessington, Irish writer.
11. “The happiness of your life depends upon the quality of your thoughts.” —Marcus Aurelius
12. “Happiness and sadness run parallel to each other. When one takes a rest, the other one tends to take up the slack.” —Hazelmarie Elliott, writer.
13. “Cheerfulness is what greases the axles of the world. Don’t go through life creaking.” —H.W. Byles
14. “Happiness is a by-product of an effort to make someone else happy.” —Gretta Brooker Palmer, American writer
15. “Now and then it’s good to pause in our pursuit of happiness and just be happy.” —Guillaume Apollinaire, French poet.
16. “Don’t wait around for other people to be happy for you. Any happiness you get you’ve got to make yourself.” — Alice Walker, American novelist.
17. “Happiness is like a kiss. You must share it to enjoy it.” — Bernard Meltzer, American radio host.
18. “A sure way to lose happiness, is to want it at the expense of everything else.” —Bette Davis, American actress
19. “Whoever is happy will make others happy.” —Anne Frank, German diarist.
20. “Happiness is not the absence of problems, it’s the ability to deal with them.” —Steve Maraboli, American writer.
21. “The only way to find true happiness is to risk being completely cut open.” —Chuck Palahniuk, American novelist
22. “No medicine cures what happiness cannot.” —Gabriel García Márquez, Colombian novelist
23. “There is only one happiness in this life, to love and be loved.” —George Sand, French novelist.
24. “Spread love everywhere you go. Let no one ever come to you without leaving happier.” —Mother Theresa
25. “Resolve to keep happy, and your joy and you shall form an invincible host against difficulties.” —Helen Keller, American author who was blind and deaf from early childhood
26. “Action may not always bring happiness, but there is no happiness without action.” —William James, American mathematician.
27. “It is not how much we have, but how much we enjoy, that makes happiness.” —Charles Spurgeon
28. “An effort made for the happiness of others lifts above ourselves.” —Lydia M. Child, American abolitionist
29. “Remember that the happiest people are not those getting more, but those giving more.” —H. Jackson Brown, Jr. American writer
Short Be Happy quotes for the day
30. “If you want to be happy, be.” —Leo Tolstoy, Russian writer.
31. “Where fear is, happiness is not”. Seneca, Philosopher.
32. “Happiness is not a goal…it’s a by-product of a life well-lived.” — Eleanor Roosevelt, Former First Lady of the United States.
33. “The most important thing is to enjoy your life – to be happy – it’s all that matters.” Audrey Hepburn, actress
34. “To have joy one must share it. Happiness was born a twin.” Lord Byron, English poet.
35. “Remember, today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.” ~ Dale Carnegie, American writer and lecturer.
36. “Thus happiness depends, as nature shows, less on exterior things than most suppose.” William Cowper, English poet.
Funny Be Happy Quotes
37. “Some cause happiness wherever they go; others whenever they go.” Oscar Wilde, Irish poet.
38. “Happiness is having a large, loving, caring, close knit family in another city”. George Burns, American comedian.
39. “My wife and I were happy for 20 years, then we met” Rodney Dangerfield, American actor
40. “You can be right or you can be happy.” Gerald Jampolsky. American psychiatrist and author
41. “What counts in making a happy marriage is not so much how compatible you are, but how you deal with incompatibility”. Leo Tolstoy, Russian writer
42. “In Hollywood all the marriages are happy, it’s trying to live together afterwards that causes all the problems” Shelly Winters, American actress
43. “When you’re a winner you’re always happy, but if you’re happy as a loser you’ll always be a loser.” Mark Twain, American writer
People come and go. If they are meant to stay in our lives, then they will find a way to never walk away. If you feel that a person is better off without you, then give way. It is the only way for you to find your own happiness too!
44. “The secret of a happy marriage remains a secret.” Henny Youngman, British-American comedian
45. “Happiness is the best makeup.” – Drew Barrymore, American actress
Meaningful Be Happy quotes
46. “Happiness is when what you think, what you say, and what you do are in harmony. ” — Mahatma Gandhi
Always be happy and appreciate what you have. Opportunities will come in the least that you expect, so might as well be happy while looking forward to the best things that can happen.
47. “A calm and modest life brings more happiness than the pursuit of success combined with constant restlessness.” ~ Albert Einstein
48. “A happy person is not a person in a certain set of circumstances, but rather a person with a certain set of attitudes” Hugh Downs, American radio broadcaster
49. “You cannot protect yourself from sadness without protecting yourself from happiness.” ~ Jonathan Safran, American novelist
50. “Happiness cannot be traveled to, owned, earned, worn or consumed. Happiness is the spiritual experience of living every minute with love, grace, and gratitude”. Denis Waitley, American motivational speaker
51. “Whoever does not regard what he has as most amply wealth, is unhappy, though he be master of the world.” Epictetus, Greek Stoic philosopher.
52. “Thousands of candles can be lighted from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.” Buddha
53. “To have joy one must share it. Happiness was born a twin.” Lord Byron, English poet.
54. “Wealth is enjoying what we already have, not getting more of what we think will make us happy.” Peter McWilliams, writer.
Many people believe that money and happiness go hand in hand, but the truth is more complicated. These quotes below will offer you more insights into the complex relationship between wealth and contentment.
55. “Happiness is not in the mere possession of money; it lies in the joy of achievement, in the thrill of creative effort.” Franklin Roosevelt, 32nd U.S. President.
56. “Happiness is more a state of health than of wealth.” Frank Tyger, cartoonist.
57. “Remember this very little is needed to make a happy life.” Marcus Aurelius
58. “Keep your business affairs in your own hands. It’s the only way to be happy.” Martha Washington, Former First Lady of the United States.
59. “Remember, happiness doesn’t depend upon who you are or what you have, it depends solely upon what you think.” Dale Carnegie, writer.
60. “Self pity is an acid which eats holes in happiness.” Earl Nightingale, American speaker.
61. “The fortune which nobody sees makes a person happy and unenvied.” Francis Bacon, Irish painter.
62. “Unhappiness is in not knowing what we want and killing ourselves to get it.” Don Herold, American humorist.
Let us never forget that happiness doesn’t come from material things, but happiness comes from the love of family and friends.
63. “The secret of happiness is not in doing what one likes, but in liking what one does.” James M. Barrie, Scottish novelist.
64. “I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn’t arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I’m going to be happy in it.” — Groucho Marx, American comedian.
If we give happiness to others, it is also an opportunity for us to reflect and find the things that can make us happy.
65. “The supreme happiness in life is the conviction that we are loved.” Victor Hugo, French writer and politician.
If you are happy, make someone happy as well so that someone can pass it on to another until each of us can feel the happiness that one person spreads.
66. “Truth is a deep kindness that teaches us to be content in our everyday life and share with the people the same happiness.” Kahlil Gibran, Lebanese-American writer
67. “There are no great things, only small things with great love. Happy are those.” Mother Theresa
68. “The truest greatness lies in being kind, the truest wisdom in a happy mind.” Ella Wheeler Wilcox, American writer
Quotes About Happiness and Life
69. “Happiness consists more in small conveniences or pleasures that occur every day, than in great pieces of good fortune that happen but seldom to a man in the course of his life.” ~ Benjamin Franklin, American polymath and Founding Father of the United States
70. “When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us.” — Helen Keller
71. “My happiness grows in direct proportion to my acceptance, and in inverse proportion to my expectations.”― Michael J. Fox, Canadian and American activist and retired actor.
72. “Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift of God, which is why we call it the present.” ― Bill Keane, American cartoonist
73. “The greatest happiness you can have is knowing that you do not necessarily require happiness.” – William SaroyanArmenian-American novelist
74. “Happiness is not something you achieve. It’s not something you do or someplace you get to. Happiness is something you inhabit.” Mark Mason, American self-help author and blogger.
75. “If you don’t like something, change it. If you can’t change it, change your attitude.” Maya Angelou, American memoirist
76. “Count your age by friends, not years. Count your life by smiles, not tears.” – John Lennon, English musician
77. “Happiness is not something ready made. It comes from your own actions.” – Dalai Lama
78. “Let us be grateful to people who make us happy, they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” – Marcel Proust, french novelist
79. “For every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist
80. Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be. – Abraham Lincoln, 16th U.S. President
81. “Happiness is a state of mind. It’s just according to the way you look at things.” – Walt Disney, American entrepreneur
82. “Nothing can bring you happiness but yourself.” – Ralph Waldo Emerson, American essayist
What are the benefits of being happy?
Scientific evidence suggests that being happy may have major benefits in your life, including:
a) Improved health: Happiness can boost your immune system, reduce stress, and lower your risk of chronic diseases.
b) Better relationships: Happy people tend to have stronger and more fulfilling relationships with others.
c) Increased productivity: Happiness can improve focus, creativity, and motivation, leading to increased productivity in work and personal life.
In life, we still strive harder and harder to get the things that we want. Probably we already have many achievements, but still, we might want more. And we never realized that others are also dreaming of the things that we have that they can’t have.
To live a happy life, it’s important to find contentment and joy in everything we do, even the little things. When we feel happy on the inside, it shows on the outside. Practicing gratitude and avoiding negativity and drama can make life easier. Cultivating happiness takes effort and action.
One step towards happiness is being mindful of the content we consume, which includes avoiding negative content, specially in social media and seeking out inspiring and encouraging content like this article.
We hope that these Be Happy Quotes have provided you with a fresh perspective on what it means to be happy and help you reframe your thoughts and attitudes in your everyday life.
Share your favorite quote about being happy with us in the comment section below. Be happy and spread it to others in your social media channels! Do not keep it for yourself. Be contagious!
Martha lives in the Bay Area and is a dedicated reader of romance novels. She runs a yoga studio and taught yoga for many years. She always says that yoga fuels her writing. She’s also a vegetarian and advocate for living a healthy life. Martha has been writing for us for a while now, giving readers a glimpse into her lifestyle and work.