When you read a great book, there is a tendency that you’ll forget the names of the minor characters, however not your favorite book quotes. The best book quotes will likely remain with you even if you have finished reading the book. Most often it will just pop up into mind during those unexpected moments. Moreover, these quotes are often displayed on the walls of your bedroom or on your tote bags or perhaps inked on your body somewhere. There’s no doubt, book quotes can truly be awesome.
How Does Book Quotes Affect People
Book quotes can inspire, entertain and teach you some lessons in life. It can also help you in understanding the different walks of life. Sometimes it gives people a new perspective on their lives. Historic book quotes provide us with some insights on the life of the past. Some of these quotes express emotions. It’s a way where people can express their romantic side. Religious book quotes can nurture our faith.
Sometimes the best quotes of all time are the ones that are always there when you need them the most, regardless if it’s the happiest day of your life or the most difficult one. These words of advice, pieces of rare inspiration, a rude revelation of reality or fresh moments of pain or love are finely expressed in such a way that they are hard to forget. Sometimes they contain the deepest emotions. These famous book quotes can come from children’s books, fiction or nonfiction literary works. Here are 52 of the most brilliant book quotes of all time. Every book has at least one or two unforgettable lines but these ones are the best of them all.
82 Best Book Quotes off all Time
1. “The only lies for which we are truly punished are those we tell ourselves.” —V.S. Naipaul, In A Free State
2. “It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.” —Antoine de Saint-Exupéry, The Little Prince
3. “Beware; for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.” —Mary Shelley, Frankenstein
4. “Love doesn’t just sit there, like a stone, it has to be made, like bread; remade all the time, made new.” —Ursula K. Le Guin, The Lathe of Heaven
5. “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.” —Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
6. “Just because your version of normal isn’t the same as someone else’s version doesn’t mean that there’s anything wrong with you.” —John Boyne, The Terrible Thing That Happened to Barnaby Brocket
7. “Isn’t it nice to think that tomorrow is a new day with no mistakes in it yet?” —L.M. Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
8. “The only way out of the labyrinth of suffering is to forgive.” ―John Green, Looking for Alaska
9. “There are years that ask questions and years that answer.” —Zora Neale Hurston, Their Eyes Were Watching God
10. “It is nothing to die; it is dreadful not to live.” —Victor Hugo, Les Misérables
11. “There are some things you learn best in calm, and some in storm.” —Willa Cather, The Song of the Lark
12. “I had the epiphany that laughter was light, and light was laughter, and that this was the secret of the universe.” —Donna Tartt, The Goldfinch
13. “There is some good in this world, and it’s worth fighting for.” —J.R.R. Tolkien, The Two Towers
14. “The world breaks everyone, and afterward, many are strong at the broken places.” —Ernest Hemingway, A Farewell to Arms
15. “Once upon a time there was a boy who loved a girl, and her laughter was a question he wanted to spend his whole life answering.” —Nicole Krauss, The History of Love
16. “Anyone whoever gave you confidence, you owe them a lot.” —Truman Capote, Breakfast at Tiffany’s
17. “Don’t ever think I fell for you, or fell over you. I didn’t fall in love, I rose in it.” —Toni Morrison, Jazz
18. “You’d be surprised how quickly the mind goes soggy in the absence of other people. One person alone is not a full person: we exist in relation to others.” —Margaret Atwood, The Testaments
19. “First we only want to be seen, but once we’re seen, that’s not enough anymore. After that, we want to be remembered.” —Emily St. John Mandel, Station Eleven
20. “I’ve seen enough to know that you can be a human with a mountain of resources and you can be a human with nothing, and you can be a monster either way.” —Clemantine Wamariya, The Girl Who Smiled Beads
21. “What’s the point of having a voice if you’re gonna be silent in those moments you shouldn’t be?” —Angie Thomas, The Hate U Give
22. “It’s the possibility of having a dream come true that makes life interesting.” —Paulo Coelho, The Alchemist
23. “It matters not what someone is born, but what they grow to be.” —J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
24. “Those who don’t believe in magic will never find it.” —Roald Dahl, The Minpins
25. “It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not.” —André Gide, Autumn Leaves
26. “Sometimes weak and wan, sometimes strong and full of light. The moon understands what it means to be human.” —Tahereh Mafi, Shatter Me
27. “When you can’t find someone to follow, you have to find a way to lead by example.” —Roxane Gay, Bad Feminist
28. “Hoping for the best, prepared for the worst, and unsurprised by anything in between.” —Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
29. “Each of us is more than the worst thing we’ve ever done.” —Bryan Stevenson, Just Mercy
30. “There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.” —Maya Angelou, I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
31. You don’t have to live forever, you just have to live.
Tuck Everlasting is a children’s novel which tackles the idea of immortality.
32. He stepped down, trying not to look long at her as if she were the sun…
Anna Karenina is a story of a married socialite who was having an affair with a rich Count.
33. Not all those who wander are lost.
The Lord of the Rings is an epic fantasy novel. It is actually the sequel to “The Hobbit.”
34. Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise.
Les Miserables is a story of a prisoner who later became a factory owner.
35. For to have faith is to have wings.
Peter Pan is a story of a young boy who never grows up.
36. I would always rather be happy than dignified.
Jane Eyre talks about the experiences of Jane from her childhood to her adulthood.
37. For what you see and hear depends a good deal on where you are standing.
The Magician’s Nephew is a children’s fantasy novel. It is one of the sequels for the Narnia series.
38. Of course, it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows is the last installment of the Harry Potter series.
39. Beware for I am fearless, and therefore powerful.
In Frankenstein, Mary Shelley narrates the story of Victor Frankenstein, a scientist who created a deformed creature.
40. There are only the pursued, the pursuing, the busy and the tired.
The Great Gatsby is the story of Jay Gatsby. A young and mysterious millionaire who passionately loves Daisy Buchanan.
41. I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.
“Little Women” is a novel that talks about the lives of four sisters.
42. I can’t go back to yesterday because I was a different person then.
Alice in Wonderland tells the experiences of Alice after she fell into the fantasy world.
43. Holding Eleanor’s hand was like holding a butterfly.
Eleanor & Park is a story of two young people who fell in love after meeting on a bus.
44. And the rest is rust and stardust.
Lolita is a story of a young girl who was sexually abused by her stepfather.
45. Stay gold, ponyboy.
The Outsiders is a novel about two rival gangs.
46. Books keep stupidity at bay.
The Little Paris Bookshop is a bestselling novel that is infused with warmth and adventure.
47. Words are life.
The Book Thief focuses on the life and struggles of a 10-year-old girl who lived in Germany during World War II.
48. You’re the kind of person I wanna be with when I want to be alone.
Eleanor & Park lets us reminisce the times when we were young and in love.
49. At any rate, that is happiness, to be dissolved into something complete and great.
My Ántonia narrates the story of an orphaned boy, Jim and the elder daughter of Bohemian immigrants, Ántonia.
50. Seek freedom and become captive of your desires, seek discipline and find your liberty.
Dune is a science fiction novel that contains five sequels.
51. She wondered whether there would ever come an hour in her life when she didn’t think of him.
The Amber Spyglass was the first children novel that won the 2001 Whitbread Book of the Year award.
52. She couldn’t help thinking that the story between them was somehow unfinished.
The Best of Me is a romance novel which has been translated into 40 languages.
53. His gold eyes grew very soft. “You said you loved me.”
Twilight is a vampire-themed romance novel that has four sequels.
54. Dumbledore watched her fly away, and as her silvery glow faded he turned back to Snape…
Harry Potter is a seven-part fantasy series that follows the life of a young wizard.
55. It’s a very difficult era in which to be a person, just a real, actual person…
Gone Girl is a thriller novel about a husband accused of the disappearance of his wife.
56. I witness the ones who are left behind, crumbling among the jigsaw puzzle of realization…
The Book Thief involves the journey of a young girl towards her self-discovery.
57. So it’s not gonna be easy. It’s gonna be really hard! We’re gonna have to work at this everyday…
The Notebook is a romantic novel that is inspired by actual events.
58. It matters not how strait the gate, how charged with punishments the scroll…
This is one of the most popular book quotes that is frequently used.
59. Youth is a flower of which love is the fruit, happy is he who, after having watched its silent growth…
This beautiful book quote centers on the youth.
60. The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart…
Some of the best romantic book quotes are found in this book.
61. If you have good thoughts they will shine out on your face like sunbeams and you will always look lovely.
If you are always thinking positively then it will show on your face.
62. If you look the right way, you can see the whole world is a garden.
This novel is a story of a young girl who was transformed after she discovered the secret garden.
63. There is never a time or place for true love. It happens accidentally.
Book quotes inspire us to love.
64. Only connect.
Short book quotes can also create a great impact.
65. He was unheeded, happy, and near to the wild heart of life.
A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man talks about the religious and intellectual awareness of a young man.
66. Grief can be a burden, but also an anchor. You get used to the weight, how it holds you in place.
Book quotes do not only deal about happiness but also the struggles of life.
67. Isn’t it pretty to think so?
The Sun Also Rises is Hemingway’s greatest work.
68. Great men are not born great. They grow great.
The Godfather is a popular crime novel about a fictional Mafia family.
69. When you find out you can live without it, go along not thinking about it.
Book quotes help you in accepting the reality that there are some things that you just can’t have.
70. Humanity does not ask us to be happy. It merely asks us to be brilliant on its behalf.
Ender’s Game is a science fiction novel which later became a popular movie.
71. Whenever you feel like criticizing any one, just remember that all the people in this world…
Sometimes book quotes will make us realize how lucky we are.
72. And don’t spend your time lookin’ around for something you want that can’t be found.
Spend your time wisely.
73. People generally see what they look for, and hear what they listen for.
“To Kill a Mockingbird” covers the sensitive issue of racial discrimination.
74. Youth can not know how age thinks and feels. But old men are guilty if they forget…
Enjoy your life while you’re young.
75. If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be;
Wuthering Heights is a very popular novel which was transformed into a movie, TV show, musical, opera, and even a song.
76. It takes something more than intelligence to act intelligently.
Human existence is not just about being alive but searching for something to live for.
77. There is a sense in which we are all each other’s consequences.
Perhaps it’s a reality that things can change in a couple of hours or in a day and its outcomes can affect us in a lifetime.
78. And in that moment I swear we were infinite.
This is one of the greatest book quotes from one of the greatest book ever.
79. Not everyone can see his dreams come true in the same way.
The prospect of having a dream come true can make your life more interesting.
80. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same.
This is one of the most romantic book quotes that expresses one’s love for someone.
81. It does not do to dwell on dreams and forget to live.
Some people choose to live in their dreams without realizing that they have a normal life to attend to.
82. Let the wild rumpus start!
This famous book quote is usually used for announcing that the party has begun.
Perhaps you may have encountered some of these wonderful book quotes but are not aware that they actually originated from books. Even a single line from a classic book can already provide you with positive energy. How much more if you will read the remaining sentences in the book. Reading books bring you great benefits. A suspense novel can excite you while a coloring book can take away your stress.