There is no time of year like summertime.
Summer has always been a favorite time of year. It was when I got to spend time at my grandparents' house with my cousins, shooting fireworks on the 4th of July, and going on big, annual extended family trips to the beach. It represented peace, bliss, and innocence. Even though I am adult now and a lot of things have changed, my love of the summer season has not. In the dead of winter, when I am feeling frozen and down, I can think of the coming summer, and its beach trips and lazy days reading by a pool or lake, and catching fireflies at dusk during the long, drawn out days. There's nothing like summer, and the beauty, peace, and innocence it reminds me of. To that end, I'd like to share with you some of the best quotes about summer I could find, in the hopes that you'll come away loving summer just as much as I do.
10 of the Best Quotes About Summer
As mentioned before, summer is by far one of the best seasons. It is a time of reflection, bliss, youthful innocence, and peace. We have found some of the best quotes about summer that are not only inspirational, but reflective of what summer represents.
1. "And so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer." —F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby
The Great Gatsby is a favorite classic literary work. But, beyond that, this particular quote sums up summer. It is one of the best quotes about summer, because no matter what happens any other time of year, one can reflect in the long, lazy days of summer, and remember and experience good times, all while vowing to cherish life anew. With each breath, with each ray of sunshine, with each blooming flower, with each dip into a cool, placid lake or rolling sea, we are able to experience a type of rebirth in summer, just as Fitzgerald's quote says.
2. "Everything good, everything magical happens between the months of June and August." --Jenny Han, The Summer I Turned Pretty
Summer has always seemed like magic, especially during our formative years. That has not changed during my adult years. It feels like anything can happen in a summer. This was especially true in grade school, middle school, high school, and college. So much time stretches between one school year and the next.
3. "In the summer, the days were long, stretching into each other. Out of school, everything was on pause and yet happening at the same time, this collection of weeks when anything was possible." ―Sarah Dessen, Along for the Ride
When we are children, summer always seems to bring such change. We don't see our friends as much, we see much more of family members we may not always see otherwise. There seems to be endless possibilities for those three months. Maybe we discover a romance at summer camp. Maybe the shy girl from middle school blossoms into someone popular as she heads toward her first year of high school. Maybe the class clown starts to think about his future and starts buckling down with his grades. Maybe something awesome happens on that family vacation that changes someone's outlook on life forever. The magical possibilities of summer are endless, and this quote encompasses that beautifully, making it one of the best quotes about summer I could find.
4. "The crickets felt it was their duty to warn everybody that summertime cannot last for ever. Even on the most beautiful days in the whole year – the days when summer is changing into autumn – the crickets spread the rumor of sadness and change." ―E.B. White, Charlotte's Web
Charlotte's Web is a beautiful, magical children's story, and this quote sums up feelings about the end of summer. At the beginning, it seems like there are days upon days upon days of reading by cool blue pools or on hot sand beaches, that there is endless time to just be, in the blissful heat of one summer's day after the next. But, before you know it, August is here, Back-to-School sales are booming, and the swimsuits in Belk are on sale so that they can quickly make way for scarves and sweaters. Despite the still-present lingering, long days and sweltering heat, summer is almost gone. And the animals in Charlotte's Web were correct - the ever-earlier chirping crickets in August will always remind us that summer is not here to stay. The consolation, though, is that she will be back, and thus this is one of our favorite quotes about summer.
5. "The castle grounds were gleaming in the sunlight as though freshly painted; the cloudless sky smiled at itself in the smoothly sparkling lake, the satin-green lawns rippled occasionally in a gentle breeze: June had arrived." ―J.K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
As noted before, summer is a magical time. I am also a devoted fan of the Harry Potter series. If there ever was a magical summer to be had, it would literally be at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. This quote is classic J.K. Rowling, a description so vivid you could almost swear you were there. If you love summertime as a time of magic, as I do, there is no denying that this is one of the best quotes about summer - especially for those of us still waiting on our Hogwarts acceptance letters.
6. "The beauty of that June day was almost staggering. After the wet spring, everything that could turn green had outdone itself in greenness and everything that could even dream of blooming or blossoming was in bloom and blossom. The sunlight was a benediction. The breezes were so caressingly soft and intimate on the skin as to be embarrassing." ―Dan Simmons, Drood
As one of the best quotes about summer, this sums up feelings at the beginning of every summer. When you step out into that first real, full day of summer - regardless of what the calendar says - it is like heaven. The southern heat will bear down at high noon, and perhaps drive people inside to the air conditioning. That's summertime in the deep south for you. But, it doesn't stop us from falling in love, once a year, every year, without fail. This quote is right - it is almost embarrassing, that feeling. That's how good it is. There is nothing like that very first fine summer day. This description is spot on, making it one of the best quotes about summer.
7. "Summers had a logic all their own and they always brought something out in me. Summer was supposed to be about freedom and youth and no school and possibilities and adventure and exploration. Summer was a book of hope. That's why I loved and hated summers. Because they made me want to believe." ―Benjamin Alire Sáenz, Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe
This quote is exactly how I feel about summer. When the pressures of life become too much, remember the magical, dreamy, carefree summers of youth. Remember the last day of school, turning in textbooks and skipping home with a blissfully light backpack and no homework. Remember looking forward to going to the beach, and to not having to deal with teachers or school bullies for a blissful three months.
Most of all, though, it is the last line. Summer made me want to believe. Every single summer, I had hope. I had hope that things might be different and beautiful, even after summer was over. That is what makes this one of the best quotes about summer. It is the one season that gives free reign to dreams and hopes of change, and mysteries about some unknown future just three months away, that you were content to dream about for just as long as summer wanted to stay.
8. "Spring flew swiftly by, and summer came; and if the village had been beautiful at first, it was now in the full glow and luxuriance of its richness. The great trees, which had looked shrunken and bare in the earlier months, had now burst into strong life and health; and stretching forth their green arms over the thirsty ground, converted open and naked spots into choice nooks, where was a deep and pleasant shade from which to look upon the wide prospect, steeped in sunshine, which lay stretched out beyond. The earth had donned her mantle of brightest green; and shed her richest perfumes abroad. It was the prime and vigour of the year; all things were glad and flourishing." —Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist
Charles Dickens's Oliver Twist is, of course, a literary classic. This quote from that timeless book is beautiful in so many ways, especially if you have ever wanted to transport yourself to a small village in simpler times. The vivid descriptions of the beauty of the village, in stark contrast to its appearance in winter and spring, is the perfect illustration of the beauty of summer. It truly is the best season. Dickens's literary talent really shows here, because he literally makes his readers want to be right there in that beautiful summer village.
9. When people went on vacation, they shed their home skins, thought they could be a new person." ―Aimee Friedman, Sea Change
The sheer truth of this quote is what makes it one of the best quotes about summer. Summer is often like a limbo for people. This is especially true for school children, college students, and those in the education profession, or in any profession that revolves around that calendar year. However, many people whose professions and lives do not revolve around that calendar year seem to change during the summer. No matter who you are, you can become that best self during summer, that season that breathes new life into everyone and everything.
10. "August rain: the best of the summer gone, and the new fall not yet born. The odd uneven time." ―Sylvia Plath, The Unabridged Journals of Sylvia Plath
We saved this Sylvia Plath quote for last, as this article is just a little bit like ending summer. She is right - the best of summer is in June and July, when it is nowhere close to being over, where there are dozens upon dozens of bright, shining, blissful, magical summer days laid out in front of you. But, seasons change, and right around that time when the rain starts to come, but the telltale signs of Fall are not yet here, that is, as Sylvia Plath says, the odd and uneven beginning of the end of summer.
Summer is a season of wonder, magic, and transformation.
The heat is still here, but that is only due to my geographical location. The days are shorter, there are Halloween decorations in all the stores, and school has long been back in session. Yes, summer is long gone for now, but she will be back next year in a blaze of glory, for all of us summer lovers to enjoy once again.
We do hope you have enjoyed this article with quotes about summer, and you come out of it with a greater appreciation for the magic of summer. Thank you so much for reading! Please tweet or share elsewhere online if you enjoyed this read.
Related Article: 68 Best Short Summer Quotes about Vacation