If you are struggling with some kind of addiction, these quotes will be perfect for you.
There are many things that can become addicting including smoking, drinking, or even a social media addiction. Any type of addiction is not good for us. Addictions can affect both our physical and mental health. With this in mind, it is important that if we have addiction, we address it as soon as possible and try to get help. We have created this list of addiction quotes to help you with taking that first step towards recovery. We hope that these quotes help you in some way today. If you know someone who is suffering from an addiction, then please be sure to give this article a share. You never know whose life you could change with a simple share to your favourite social media sites!
A Bit About Addiction Quotes
Addiction quotes are great for people who want to take that first step towards recovery, or for people who just want a little bit of motivation in their road to recovery. If you know someone who may benefit from reading some of these quotes then please do be sure to give this article a share with them.
What is an addiction?
An addiction is when you become addicted to a particular substance or activity. Addictions usually can become very dangerous and often lead to withdrawal symptoms if the addict goes a long time without that thing that they are addicted to. Some common addictions include smoking, drugs, alcohol drinking, gambling, or a social media addiction.
Why are addiction quotes great?
Addiction quotes are great because they can help addicts along the road to recovery. They can inspire change and can make an addict want to make a change in their life. Addiction quotes can also be very helpful with helping to motivate people to keep going when they are recovering from their addiction.
Our List of Addiction Quotes
Following is our list of addiction quotes which should motivate and inspire you today. We hope that you enjoy these quotes and we would love to hear your thoughts on them in the comments section below this article.
1. Every form of addiction is bad, no matter whether the narcotic be alcohol or morphine or idealism.
It doesn’t matter what addiction you have, any kind of addiction is bad and must be addressed. If you feel like you may have an addiction of any kind, then it is important that you do something about it as soon as possible before it gets out of hand. It doesn’t matter what it is, any type of addiction can become dangerous.
2. What fascinates me about addiction and obsessive behavior is that people would choose an altered state of consciousness that’s toxic and ostensibly destroys most aspects of your normal life, because for a brief moment you feel okay.
This very much highlights what having an addiction is like. People will do things that are absolutely terrible for themselves in the long run just because it makes them feel good in the moment. Take for example people who take drugs – these people will know that drugs are terrible for them, but take them anyway because it gives them a momentary ‘high’ and it is that momentary ‘high’ that keeps people addicted.
3. The unfortunate thing about this world is that good habits are so much easier to give up than bad ones.
This is a very true quote because bad habits can be incredibly hard to give up, whereas good habits seem to be much easier to give up. It is important that we try to make mental notes of our good and bad habits and try to keep our god habits going and try to get rid of all of our bad habits.
4. Addiction begins with the hope that something “out there” can instantly fill up the emptiness inside.
Most addictions start from a need to feel happier or less sad or depressed. Many people will try drugs or smoking or drinking as a way to try to make themselves feel better when they’re down. The temporary ‘high’ from taking these substances is what then makes them become an addiction. The best way t avoid addiction is the never start one of those bad things in the first place.
5. Addiction is just a way of trying to get at something else. Something bigger. Call it transcendence if you want, but it’s like a rat in a maze. We all want the same thing. We all have this hole. The thing you want offers relief, but it’s a trap.
People become addicted to things when they’re trying to find something that pulls them away from their own lives. However, addictive substances will never fully help a person get through things. All they will do is give the person that temporary ‘high’ that they crave, while slowly destroying their physical and mental attributes.
6. Addictions … started out like magical pets, pocket monsters. They did extraordinary tricks, showed you things you hadn’t seen, were fun. But came, through some gradual dire alchemy, to make decisions for you. Eventually, they were making your most crucial life-decisions. And they were … less intelligent than goldfish.
Addictions can make you do some terrible things and so it is incredibly important to address addictions at the earliest stage possible. Every addict should try to do something about their addiction before it’s too late and you do something bad. When someone people are addicted to substances such as drugs, they will often become so addicted that they will do anything to get their hands on some. This is where addictions can become very dangerous.
7. At first, addiction is maintained by pleasure, but the intensity of this pleasure gradually diminishes and the addiction is then maintained by the avoidance of pain.
This quote very much explains what it is like to become addicted to something. With this in mind, this quote highlights even more why it is so important to address addictions as early as possible. The ‘high’ that you get from an addiction starts off to be very pleasing, however, it slowly becomes less and less pleasing and the addiction instead relies on just fulfilling withdrawals.
8. At every stage, addiction is driven by one of the most powerful, mysterious, and vital forces of human existence. What drives addiction is longing–a longing not just of brain, belly, or loins but finally of the heart.
This quote also very much explains what addiction is like and why people become addicted to things. There are many different types of addiction and people will often wait until it’s too late before doing anything about their addictions. If you feel that you have some sort of addiction, it is essential that you do something about it as early as possible before it gets out of hand.
9. Recovery from addiction requires hard work, a proper attitude and learning skills to stay sober, not drinking alcohol or using other drugs. Successful drug recovery or alcohol recovery involves changing attitudes, acquiring knowledge, and developing skills to meet the many challenges of sobriety.
Recovery from addictions ca be very hard and will take a lot of patience and hard work. People will find it very difficult to recover to begin with, but with a lot of dedication and support from the people around them, it can be done. In order to succeed in recovering from your addiction, you must change your attitude towards life and develop the skills it takes to overcome addiction.
10. The mentality and behavior of drug addicts and alcoholics is wholly irrational until you understand that they are completely powerless over their addiction and unless they have structured help, they have no hope.
Many people who are addicts will not even realise that they are an addict. They will become completely powerless over their addiction and will need outside help in order to succeed in their recovery. That is why many addicts go to rehab, because they need that outside support. Most addicts will be unable to overcome their addictions purely by themselves.
11. I have absolutely no pleasure in the stimulants in which I sometimes so madly indulge. It has not been in the pursuit of pleasure that I have periled life and reputation and reason. It has been the desperate attempt to escape from torturing memories, from a sense of insupportable loneliness and a dread of some strange impending doom.
Edgar Allan Poe
This quote very much highlights what becoming an addict is like. This is exactly how addiction starts. It starts with that need to escape, no matter what it is that you’re trying to escape from. This could be your own thoughts or memories, or the life in which you’re currently living. Taking to abusive drugs and alcohol is never the answer and will never cure any feelings that you have. Addictions only make things worse and can be terrible for your physical and mental health.
12. What is addiction, really? It is a sign, a signal, a symptom of distress. It is a language that tells us about a plight that must be understood.
There is usually an underlying issue that leads to addiction. If someone is an addict, it may be worth trying to find out what it was that led them to become an addict. Fixing that thing first may help a lot with the recovery process. Addiction is a sign that something is wrong. People don’t just become addicted to terrible things for no reason. It is important to look out for the reasons why someone started up that habit in the first place so that you can better understand what led to the addiction.
We hope that you enjoyed this list of addiction quotes and that it helped you in some way today.
Did you enjoy this list of addiction quotes? Perhaps you have some addiction quotes of your own that you think should be on this list? Or maybe you have some stories about addiction that you would like to share with us? We would love to hear them! Please leave a comment in the comment section below this article.
If you enjoyed this article or know someone who may benefit from reading it then please be sure to give it a share. You never know whose life you could turn around with a simple share to your favourite social media sites!
Related Article: 10 Amazing Books That Will Change Your Life And Concept of Living
Martha lives in the Bay Area and is a dedicated reader of romance novels. She runs a yoga studio and taught yoga for many years. She always says that yoga fuels her writing. She’s also a vegetarian and advocate for living a healthy life. Martha has been writing for us for a while now, giving readers a glimpse into her lifestyle and work.