William Shakespeare quotes which includes “To be, or not to be” are well-known in the world of literature. Some of his quotes have turned out to be famous catch phrases nowadays. It is undeniable that William Shakespeare is truly a brilliant person. William Shakespeare is greatly remembered by his remarkable works. He died on April 23,1616. In order to commemorate his life, here are some of his unforgettable and famous quotes. These Shakespeare quotes teaches us that we should learn to face our fears and make use of every opportunity that comes in our way.
There are a lot of lessons that we can learn from Shakespeare quotes. For instance, in Hamlet, we learn the significance of integrity – “this above all; to thine own self be true”. In Julius Caesar, we are reminded that we must follow our dreams -“it is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.” In King Lear, he alerts us on speaking without thinking – “mind your speech a little lest you should mar your fortunes.” Shakespeare’s understanding on English language is undeniably incomparable. Romantics adore his words of love. Parents can also turn to his words when it comes to guiding their children. Want to have some words to live by? Here are some of Shakespeare’s most clever words of wisdom.
51 Inspirational Shakespeare Quotes with Images
1. Men in rage strike those that wish them best.
This is one of Shakespeare quotes that deals with anger.
2. There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
If we can avoid making negative thoughts about the events in our daily lives then we can free ourselves from unneeded sufferings.
3. If money go before, all always do lie open.
As expected, the Bard has a lot of things to say with regards to money matters.
4. Though she be but little, she is fierce.
Women who are small can also be ferocious.
5. Plenty and peace breeds cowards: hardness ever of hardiness is mother.
Shakespeare has written at least 38 plays and more than 150 poems. They are the best works ever written.
6. The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
Shakespeare quotes taught us to know our weakness.
7. The earth has music for those who listen.
Music is beyond the words on the paper. It has a unique world waiting to be discovered.
8. The fault, dear Brutus, is not in our stars, but in ourselves.
Shakespeare quotes made us realize that sometimes fate is not based on our decisions but rather on human conditions.
9. My heart leaps to be gone into my mother’s bosom.
The works of Shakespeare are translated into many languages. Up to now, his works are being performed in the different parts of the world.
10. If thou art rich, thou art poor.
Shakespeare did not continue his studies since his family is not wealthy.
11. If music be the food of love… play on.
Through this Shakespeare quotes, it tells us that love can come unexpectedly and it would be hard to avoid it.
12. To thine own self be true.
In this Shakespeare quotes, it gives us an insight that we should live a good and balanced life.
13. Love all. Trust a few. Do wrong to none.
This means that we should love everyone but select only the person to trust so that we will not be hurt.
14. Small cheer and great welcome makes a merry feast.
Shakespeare’s works are the most read and performed all over the world.
15. Let me be that I am and seek not to alter me.
If you really love me then you must accept me for who I am.
16. The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool.
A fool thinks that he knows everything, while a wise man will continue learning in order to know more.
17. There is no darkness – but ignorance.
There will always be an answer if you have the knowledge but if you’re ignorant then you can never find any solution.
18. All the world’s a stage.
In this Shakespeare quote, the world is being compared to a stage where every human being are considered as actors.
19. Out, out, brief candle! Life’s but a walking shadow, a poor player.
This quote tells us that our life is fleeting.
20. There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.
This Shakespeare quotes states that nothing is really good or bad. It’s just the way a person thinks about it.
21. Better is witty fool than a foolish wit.
Some people are smart but sometimes they do stupid things.
22. To do a great right do a little wrong.
The objective of this Shakespeare quotes is to try to do the right thing in every situation.
23. Though I look old, yet I am strong and lusty.
Some people may look old yet they can still do the things that the young ones do.
24. We know what we are but know not what we may be.
Currently, we know who we are but do not know exactly what we are capable of.
25. I count myself in nothing else do happy as in a soul remembering my good friends.
Friends are life’s most important possessions and nothing else matters.
26. By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes.
The pricking of my thumbs refers to tingling or numbness.
27. Rose by any other name would smell as sweet…
It doesn’t matter what it’s called but the important thing is what it is.
28. Conversation should be pleasant without scurrility, witty without affectation…
Basically, this Shakespeare quotes implies that a good conversation should be enjoyable and does not have any underlying motives.
29. I love thee with a love that shall not die till the sun grows cold and the stars grow old.
Love is forever…
30. See first that the design is wise and just.
These inspirational Shakespeare quotes tell us the great value of making the right decisions.
31. Some rise by sin and some by virtue fall.
Sometimes doing the right things can get you in trouble.
32. Doubt thou the stars are fire; Doubt that the sun doth move.
When you love a person, you will never doubt his love for you.
33. The first thing we do, let’s kill all the lawyers.
What Shakespeare is trying to say here is that the lawyers are the protectors of the law.
34. Be not afraid of greatness: some are born great, some achieve greatness…
We must be able to recognize opportunities.
35. To be, or not to be: that is the question.
This is one of the most famous Shakespeare quotes of all time. Do you prefer to live or to die?
36. My only love sprung from my only hate!
Against all odds, love can still survive.
37. Follow your spirit, and upon this charge cry “God for Harry. England and Saint George!”
In this quote, Henry encouraged his troops to fight for England.
38. You must take your chance.
Life is all about taking chances.
39. But, soft! what light through ponder window breaks?
Juliet is being compared to the sun.
40. It is not in the stars to hold our destiny but in ourselves.
Your life will depend on your choices and not on your destiny.
41. The course of true love never did run smooth.
True love is not only happiness, it also includes problems and difficulties.
42. Good wine is a good familiar creature.
Wine makes us feel great especially when shared with friends.
43. But if the while I think on thee, dear friend, all losses are restored and sorrows end.
True friends can take away our sorrows.
44. Stars, hide your fires; Let not light see my black and deep desires.
In this quote, Macbeth implies that he does not want anyone to know about his evil plans.
45. We are such stuff as dreams are made on; and our little life is rounded with a sleep.
In this quote, dreams are being compared to life. When they’re gone nothing will be left behind.
46. How many goodly creatures are there here!
In “The Tempest”, Shakespeare criticized England for colonizing other nations.
47. I do love nothing in the world so well as you.
When you love a person, you are willing to do anything for her/him.
48. My bounty is as boundless as the sea. My love as deep; the more I give to thee…
Juliet confesses to Romeo that her love for him is infinite.
49. No legacy is so rich as honesty.
Telling the truth all the time is very important. The greatest legacy that you can give to your children is not the material things but rather good character.
50. Love comforteth like sunshine after rain.
Love gives us comfort after going through a bad day in our life.
51. Oh teach me how I should forget to think.
When you truly love somebody, you can’t stop thinking about her/him.
William Shakespeare Facts
William Shakespeare is a famous actor, poet, and playwright. He is known as the greatest English writer in the world. Shakespeare is also known as the “Bard of Avon.” He has written at least 38 plays, 154 sonnets, poems and verses. Shakespeare was born in Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire and he also grew up here. He got married at the age of 18 to Anne Hathaway. They had three children Susanna and twins Judith and Hamnet.
Shakespeare became a successful writer and actor in London. Later on, he co-owned a playing company. He retired at the age of 49 and after three years he died. Some of his finest works include Othello, Hamlet, Macbeth and King Lear. Today, most of his plays are still popular, performed and reinterpreted all over the world.
William Shakespeare was baptized on April 26, 1564. However, his date of birth is unknown. Since baptism usually occurs a few days after birth, historians presume that he was born on April 23, 1564. Incidentally, Shakespeare also died on April 23rd.
The Bard died 400 years ago but his inspiring words of wisdom continue to live on. In his quotes, Shakespeare covered a variety of subjects that deals with human experiences. It includes sad experiences as well as happy moments. What is the best quote that touched your life?