Depression could in fact be tremendously isolating. Depressing Quotes and sayings provide an understanding of precisely what it’s actually like coping with depression, and also inspiration, as well as a sense of “somebody, gets it.” Each of these helps with several elements of one’s illness which can include sadness, grief, loneliness as well as other related issues. It could be just because you are broken-hearted.
Below is a great collection of depressing sad quotes that would make you realize that it is not only you who feel the same way, everybody does. That is why it is important to have close best friends around you. This is not intended for you to feel a lot more depressed and down but for you to realize that pain is life’s reality and everyone encounters it.
Hopefully, these Depressing Quotes about Love and Life will help you reflect and cheer you up when you need it. Make sure to look at this ultimate list of funny quotes to get a little laugh. Don’t forget that after rain comes sunshine!
Read our Good Morning Quotes to wake up with a big smile every morning and help you through tough times. Send a romantic love quote from the heart to him, and maybe he can help you cheer up. Or a sweet mother-daughter quote to your mother.
There are always people in your life that will be there for you, sometimes all you have to do is communicate!
Related Articles with Quotes and Images:
102 Depressing Quotes and Sayings about Life and Love
1. “When you are depressed, life is too long.”
2. “Don’t let your happiness depend on something you may lose.” —C.S Lewis
3. “The worst kind of sad is not being able to explain why.”
4. “There are wounds that never show on the body that are deeper and more hurtful than anything that bleeds.”
5. “My life is just one constant battle between wanting to be alone, but not wanting to be lonely.”
6. “The heart will break, but broken live on.” —Lord Byron
7. “A sad soul can kill quicker than a germ.” —John Steinbeck
8. “Things change. And friends leave. And life doesn’t stop for anybody.” —Stephen Chbosky
9. “Tears are words the mouth can’t say nor can the heart bear.” —Joshua Wisenbaker
10. “It’s hard to answer the question “What’s wrong?” when nothing’s right.”
11. “I am sad all the time and the sadness is so heavy that I can’t get away from it.”
12. “Death is not the greatest loss in life. The greatest loss is what dies inside us while we live.”
13. “Monsters are real, and ghosts are real too. They live inside us, and sometimes, they win.”
14. “There comes a point where you no longer care if there’s a light at the end of the tunnel or not. You’re just sick of the tunnel.”
15. “It’s a bit like walking down a long, dark corridor, never knowing when the light will go on.”
16. “Every thought is a battle. Every breath is a war, and I don’t think I’m winning anymore.”
17. “None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free.”
18. “Pain changes people. It makes them trust less, overthink more, and shut people up.”
19. I’m drowning, and you’re standing three feet away, screaming, “learn how to swim.”
20. “Depression is like living in a body that fights to survive with a mind that tries to die.”
21. “Sometimes it’s numbness, not sadness.”
22. “The only thing more exhausting than being depressed is pretending that you’re not.”
23. “Sleep just isn’t sleep anymore, it’s an escape.”
24. “Depression is a physical illness, like bleeding from a wound that won’t close. You cannot fix it; It doesn’t heal.”
25. “Imagine smiling after a slap in the face. Then think of doing it twenty-four hours a day.”
26. “Don’t let the scars on your heart define the way you love.” ―Laura Chouette
27. “Every human walks around with a certain kind of sadness. They may not wear it on their sleeves, but it’s there if you look deep.” —Taraji P. Henson
28. “Let your tears come. Let them water your soul.” —Eileen Mayhew
29. “It’s always worse than it seems.”
30. “Life goes on… with or without you.” —Faraaz Kazi
31. “That’s why all humans are so afraid to die. Nobody wants to think they don’t matter.” ―Nenia Campbell
32. “All alone! Whether you like it or not, alone is something you’ll be quite a lot!” ―Dr. Seuss
33. “I’m always scared to say how I really feel. No one wants to hear, “It’s getting worse.” Everyone wants to hear, “It’s finally better!” But, what if it isn’t? What if I’m lying?” ―Skylar Blue
34. “Beauty doesn’t keep, but rots like apples.” ―Hope Mirrlees
35. Depressed Quotes about Life
“From the moment we are born, we begin to die.” ―Janne Teller
36. Depressing Dark Quote
“Maybe I’d always been broken and dark inside.” ―Sarah J. Maas
37. “No one seems to notice when you’re down, unless you are bleeding, but sometimes the worst wounds, are the ones you can’t see.” ―Faith Marie
38. “Even the whole universe won’t fill your emptiness.” ―Shiz Live
39. “Most people go through their whole lives, without ever really feeling that close with anyone.” ―Sally Rooney
40. Depressing Sad Quote
“People aren’t born sad; we make them that way.” ―Nikita Gill
41. “From the beginning, through the middle years and up to the end: too bad, too bad, too bad.” ―Charles Bukowski
42. Depressing Quote About Love
“Time doesn’t heal all wounds. We both know that’s bullshit; it comes from people who have nothing comforting or original to say.” ―Adam Silvera
43. Depressed Quote about Death
“After all, suicide is contagious.” ―Suzanne Young
44. “Living with hope is like rubbing up against a cheese grater. It keeps taking slices off you until there’s so little left you just crumble.” ―Catherine Austen
45. “Y’all smoke to enjoy it. I smoke to die.” ―John Green
46. “To me, socializing was like sinking to the bottom of a deep, deep ocean… Until eventually you couldn’t take it anymore, and had to come up for air.” ―Shimamura
47. Sad Messed Up Quote
“You have the right to live, but don’t have the right to die? This world really is so fairly unfair.” ―Shiz Live
48. “She can paint a pretty picture but this story has a twist. The paintbrush is a razor and the canvas is her wrist.” ―Amy Efaw
49. “Crediting someone for your unhappiness is about not taking responsibility yourself.” ―Vineet Raj Kapoor
50. “I no longer pursue happiness, for it alludes me in every occasion.” ―Dave Guerrero
51. “There is no greater despair, than to tread with care upon ice that is already broken.” ―Johnathan Jena
52. “I can’t think of anything more disheartening than living a life without a clear purpose.” ―Daniel Willey
53. “Whether the people are happy or not in their lives, they have learned to keep steadily moving, moving all the time.” ―Chang Rae Lee
54. “I wanted to find one law to cover all of living. I found fear….” ―Michael Ondaatje
55. “But I didn’t understand then. That I could hurt somebody so badly she would never recover. That a person can, just by living, damage another human being beyond repair.” ―Haruki Murakami
56. “My eyes have seen pain, and they never stopped staring.” ―Simone Z. Walter
57. “And I didn’t think even eternity would be long enough to fix me.” ―Sarah J. Maas
58. “Death comes to us all; we can only choose how to face it when it comes.” ―Robert Jordan
59. “Alone in my bedroom, I realized I couldn’t remember the last time I’d truly laughed.” ―Sarah J. Maas
60. “I carry the seeds of death within me and plant them wherever I linger long enough to love.” ―Orson Scott Card
61. “Life’s under no obligation to give us what we expect.” —Margaret Mitchell
62. “Don’t go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first.” —Mark Twain
63. “I have learned now that while those who speak about one’s miseries usually hurt, those who keep silence hurt more.” —C.S. Lewis
64. “Our dead are never dead to us until we have forgotten them.” —George Eliot
65. “The bitterest tears shed over graves are for words left unsaid and deeds left undone.” —Harriet Beecher Stowe
66. “It’s sad when someone you know becomes someone you knew.” –Henry Rollins
67. There is a time for departure, even when there’s no certain place to go.” —Tennessee Williams
68. “Grief is not as heavy as guilt, but it takes more away from you.” —Veronica Roth
69. “You know, a heart can be broken, but it keeps on beating, just the same.” —Fannie Flagg
70. “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart, and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” —Ella Harper
71. “There is no greater sorrow than to recall, in misery, the time when we were happy.” —Dante Aligheri
72. “Of all the words of mice and men, the saddest are, ‘It might have been.'” —Kurt Vonnegut
73. “To have felt too much is to end in feeling nothing.” —Dorothy Thompson
74. “One thing you can’t hide is when you’re crippled inside.” —John Lennon
75. “Heavy hearts, like heavy clouds in the sky, are best relieved by the letting of a little water.” —Christopher Morley
76. “I’m busy saving everybody else when I can’t even save myself.” ―rajesh
77. “Sometimes, all you can do is lie in bed, and hope to fall asleep before you fall apart.” –William C. Hannan
78. “I’m not even a person anymore. I’m just stress and sadness.”
79. “Effort without talent is a depressing situation but talent without effort is a tragedy.” –Mike Ditka
80. “Nobody gets excited about the future at all, ever. The future is something we find depressing and worrisome.” –Bill Bryson
81. “I love to laugh and dance. That’s kind of my nature, though I end up always playing these angry, depressing characters.” –Brendan Sexton III
82. “I’m falling apart right in front of your eyes but you don’t even see me.”
83. “That was another lesson I had learned perhaps too well: people meant pain.” ―Patrick Rothfuss
84. “Those who cry are dead inside.” ―J. Pemble
85. “The people experiencing the most pain tend to be the ones who are always trying to make others smile.”
86. “The loneliest moment in someone’s life is when they are watching their whole world fall apart, and all they can do is stare blankly.”
87. “Maybe I’m just not meant to live a happy life. Maybe pain is all I’ll ever know.”
88. “I sometimes feel like life is just one big test to see how long we can survive.” ―Jessica Sorensen
89. “Everything was eternally dreary, dismal, damned. Even the weather was insolent and bitchy.” ―Charles Bukowski, Ham on Rye
90. “The worst feeling in the world is knowing you did the best you could and it still wasn’t good enough.”
91. “Sometimes, you gotta pretend everything is okay”
Pretending you are okay is one way of showing people that you are strong even though everything just tears you apart. Depressing quotes are great for helping you get through your depression if you are currently depressed.
What you see is not always what it is, just like pain it may not seem visible but deep within it’s so much to take. This depression quote is a great reminder that things will get better in time.
93. “I get lost inside my mind”
This just means you just don’t know what to do and don’t know what is the right thing to do. Life can affect people differently, and a depressed person will usually see things worse than what they actually are.
94. “At some point, you have to realize that some people can stay in your heart but not in your life”
Some people were just meant to give you a lesson, in they will just past into your life sometimes the memories will always be in your heart. Although some people may get out in our lives, this is no reason to feel sad. People come and go from our lives for a reason.
95. “People cry, not because they’re weak. It’s because they’ve been strong for too long “
Tears are a sign of strength, that no matter how difficult and how painful everything is, after crying you still manage to stand up and hold on. Depression and loneliness is mental illness that can result in people feeling sad, even at unnecessary times.
96. “No amount of sleep in the world could cure the tiredness I feel”
Emotional tiredness is just so hard to handle that physical sleep cannot take away. Resting your heart is the only way to get through this tiredness. Anxiety and depression can often keep people lying awake at night.
Sometimes, even though you tried your best to forget our past, there are instances that the past just keeps on coming back and would always give you something that would remind you about it. Human beings are made to move forward.
98. “You’re scared to tell people how much it hurts, so you keep it all to yourself”
Sometimes, you keep all the pain in yourself because you don’t want people to laugh at you or to judge you because of what you feel. If you’re a person that is feeling sad, focus on your happiness and what makes you happy instead.
99. “The only thing standing between me and total happiness is reality”
There are times that the only thing that can make you happy only happens in your dreams but can’t be done in reality. Loneliness and pain are terrible for the soul, and no one should have to feel those things.
100. “Some of the most painful scars: the ones that hurt the most are the scars that can’t be seen”
Scars that can’t be seen are the scars that wounded our hearts. It may be healed but the mark of the pain will always stay. If you suffer from depression, this quote should help you with coping with depression.
101. “It’s getting harder to hide pain”
Hiding the pain is like pretending and pretending is one of the hardest things to do. Bouts of depression can come any time, even during the good times.
102. “Instead of wiping your tears, wipe away the people who create them”
The best way to stop the pain from the people who hurt you is to get rid of these people. Sometimes, one moment you thought you were happy, and then your mind switches to sadness, sorrow, hurt, and suffering. That is what is known as depression.
103. “Everytime people ask me if I’m okay, it’s just a reminder that I’m not”
Sometimes, we keep on telling ourselves that we’re okay and we live on it, however, if someone would ask you this question it would make you think and realize that you’re not okay. It’s okay not to be okay.
104. “I need a break from the loneliness that is totally consuming me”
We all need a break from everything, especially from pain. You must realize that your emotions can be controlled. Any time you felt kind of good, was because of your own actions. You have the power to change who you are for the better and focus on the good things.
105. “I hate getting flashbacks from things that I don’t want to remember”
Flashbacks brings back all the pain, even though it happens a long time ago. Your friends and family must understand when you’re feeling lonely and sad so that they can be there for you in your times of need.
106. “Why does it always rain on me?”
We consider the rain as problem in our life, sometimes problems just keep on coming to us. A lot of crying can lead to grief and hopelessness.
107. ” Monsters don’t sleep under your bed, they scream inside of your head”
There are things that happen in your life that always haunt you. Don’t allow your sense of fear to control your emotions. It is good and bad in everyone and everything.
108. “I think I’m afraid to be happy because whenever I get too happy, something bad always happens”
It’s the opposite of “there’s sunshine after that rain”. Life turns around, there would always be good times as well as bad times.
109. “I’m busy saving everybody else when I can’t even save myself”
Sometimes, we always think of the feelings of other people and what will be good for them without thinking of ourselves.
110. “I just wanna feel okay again”
When feeling down, that’s what everybody wants to feel, to be okay again.
111. “Deep inside where nothing’s fine, I’ve lost my mind”
If we are feeling down, we tend to lost our minds not knowing what to do. Hopefully, these depressing sayings and quotes will help you in your journey.
112. “There is no greater sorrow than to recall in misery the time when we were happy”
Remembering that once in your life, you’re happy together with your loved one will make you think why do the bad things happened to both of you is really heartbreaking.
113. “The only thing worse then being hated is being ignored…”
The feeling of you didn’t exist is the worst feeling ever.
114. “No really I’m fine”
If you’re not okay and you are being asked, sometimes you answered with a depressing quote “NO REALLY, I’m fine”. A confusing answer to a confused feeling.
115. “No one cares. They’re just pretending”
We can’t easily trust and it’s hard to know who are the people that truly care for us.
116. “I smile all the time so that nobody knows”
Because smiling is a mask that can hide what you truly feel inside.
117. “I sleep to escape from reality”
Sleeping is the only thing that can make you forget the pain that you are feeling.
118. “I’m broken”
Too much pain will break you.
119. “I’ll be alright. One day. Someday. Just not today”
Moving on and the healing process of emotional pain would really take time.
120. “I forgive a lot, but I never forget what’s said and done”
Because the pain that was created will leave a scar.
121. “Everything is a battle, every breath is a war, and I don’t think i’m winning anymore”
Going through so much pain is like fighting in a losing battle.
122. “Death seems more inviting than life”
When we’re down and troubled and wanted to take away all the pain we feel inside, death would seem the choice that we want to be.
123. “You can see many smiles everyday, but you can never know whose world is actually upside down”
Because a smile is the greatest protection and mask that is easy to convey.
124. “You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have”
We can measure our strength if we are facing the biggest challenge that will come into our lives.
125. “I draw with silver and it turns red”
In other words, it just means slashing your skin when you are just feeling so bad.
126. “Depression is a prison where you are both the suffering prisoner and the cruel jailer”
Depression is something that only you gave the opportunity to be prisoned on it. Use these depressing quotes to give you another perspective on depression.
127. “You knew exactly what you were doing, that’s what hurts the most”
It’s so hard to understand why a person still do things that you know would hurt you and yet still do it.
128. “Smiling has always been easier than explaining why you’re sad”
You don’t owe any other people any explanation and smiling is the easiest way to get out of it.
129. “Life sucks, and then you die”
When life seems not to go the way we want, it sucks and all we want is to die.
130. “I am not me anymore”
Too much love can change you according to this depressing quote.
131. “It sucks when you know that you need to let go but you can’t…”
No matter how painful it is, if we are in love, we always hope for better things to happen even though we just want to give up.
132. The Last of Depressing Quotes:“Depression is like drowning”
Facts About Depression
Many people today seem to be fighting this battle, and some of them sadly lose against it. We’ve lost truly wonderful people like Robin Williams, Chester Bennington, and Keith Flint just to name a few of the more known ones. Think about how many non-famous people have to go through this hell. If celebrities who get a lot of moral support from fans can’t overcome it, just imagine how it feels like for someone who has no friends.
With that said, let’s look at some facts to help you spot a depressed person more easily:
A depressed person’s brain might look different
MRI scans and other imaging tests might reveal that a depressed person’s brain functions differently than the brain of someone who isn’t affected by depression.
Depression causes other health problems
Ever wondered why doctors keep telling you to avoid stress? It’s because stress (which is a major symptom of depression) causes other problems as well. Stress and depression increase your chances of developing chronic inflammatory or autoimmune conditions such as diabetes, heart disease, arthritis, or irritable bowel disease to name a few.
Depression isn’t always obvious
Remember how Robin Williams always seemed jolly in his interviews? Well, look how it turned out. Depressed people develop an instinct of masking how they truly feel. You won’t always notice when someone is depressed right away. That’s why it’s important to read between the lines and pay attention to everything someone says instead of dismissing it as “attention-seeking.”
Anxiety is a major sign of depression
If one of your friends seems a bit too shy even in situations where they don’t need to be, it might be because of their anxiety. Some people have lived with anxiety for so long that they don’t even realize they got a serious problem. If you know such a person, you should listen to them and encourage them to go to therapy.
Thoughts About Depression
We can’t breathe because of the pain that we feel inside, it feels like drowning. If we are in pain, we all need to grieve, feel each pain and one way to do that is to go through these depressing quotes that we collect just for all of you. Eventually, time will come without even knowing, you’ll find out that you did it! You’ve gotten through the pain and it would be unbelievable how it makes you stronger, stronger than you could not imagine you would be.
What are some depressing captions?
These are some of the saddest captions bets for Instagram and Facebook. They talk about loneliness and feeling alone in this vast world.
“Even the whole universe won’t fill your emptiness.” ―Shiz Live
“Most people go through their whole lives, without ever really feeling that close with anyone.” ―Sally Rooney
What are some sad depressing quotes?
We prepared a selection of depressing quotes to copy paste on your captions on Instagram and Facebook whenever you feel like it. These are the best quotes to express your dissatisfaction with life. For sure these are depressing quotes that hit you hard.
“That’s why all humans are so afraid to die. Nobody wants to think they don’t matter.” ―Nenia Campbell
What are the saddest quotes?
“Beauty doesn’t keep, but rots like apples.” ―Hope Mirrlees
“From the moment we are born, we begin to die.” ―Janne Teller
“Maybe I’d always been broken and dark inside.” ―Sarah J. Maas
These short quotes are a kind of reminder that human life is fleeting. But let us always look at the bright side of things and appreciate every moment we have on Earth.
Always remember, “Life goes on” and “There’s a rainbow after the rain”. Stay positive and don’t waste your life. There are much less depressing quotes on our website to make you happy and cheer you up. If you still feel down then wake up in the morning and look at one of our Good Morning Quotes to start your day inspired and with a smile. If your partner is in pain make sure to be there for him or her. Talk to them and cheer them up. Discuss their problems and concerns. Send them romantic love quotes for him from the heart.
Inspire them with life quotes. Inspire them with life!